
yeah, today was the competition day for the state level's debate teams.
In the first round, we were against smk inderawasih. i mean, its not that i want to critisize anyone, but the anyway..the third speaker of that school's debate team was sooo one of a kind!
i mean, he was like, so cool. He went on and on and on so fluently like things were favouring him. But really, even he did admit to me...(when they congratulated us on our victory), that he felt it was baseless and very weak points, but still if you were a debater, that WOULD have to be your duty , wouldn't it be not?
And do you know what actually happened? I mean, its sort of funny, but the fact is..when he was giving his rebuttals, I was kind of worried. Because the fact that he was simply so convincing made me wary of how the judges would judge the whole thing. So, when he was there in front, delivering his rebuttals, i simply shook my head at every single point he tried to rebuttal on. And straight after the competition round, when he shook my hand, he said very "graciously" that he knew I was not agreeing with his points as I had been shaking my head from the very beginning since he started to talk..
hehe, what could i do but say "oh, but your points are really weak. I just HAD to do that. But you were really very convincing..truly.."
and he went : "oh, *laughs* I knew that!"
well, but seriously, they were very sporting even from the beginning. Even when the results were announced, they were very gracious about the whole thing and truly accepted it as a fair match.
Anyway, moving on to the next round where I had to go down to the stand. I wasn't really THAT nervous. But you should have seen the smk Dato Onn's debaters. They were really fluent and all, with their style and yadda..They were quite okay. And when it was my turn to go up to the stand, I started on my rebuttals and then the guy(second speaker of the opposition) went straightly P.O.I-ing me. AHA! I accepted of course.
After the debate, Lynn Hua and Shueh Yin told me that I actually smiled on the stand. And i was like, "o-kay... did i DO THAT? ". I mean, i still don't recall ever laughing or even close to smiling *widely* as accused by them!! but anyway, It was really funny when they told me I actually laughed when i was delivering my speech. They told me the opposition team was "somewhat shocked" to see me laughing.
Yeah of course, when we were congratulating them on their win, the guy from the opposition team came forward and told me that " You deny very sweetly". Excuse me..was that suppose to be critism on my behalf or what? And straightly after he said that, their team's first speaker added in that 'she tried not to P.O.I me because she couldn't bear to do that!'.. I mean, i don't want to sound vain or anything, but they said it in a VERY sincere way..(p.s. You can't blame me for being convinced, right? *all smiles* )
But still, I believe strongly that we could have won. I don't want to raise up certain things that are not pleasant to the ear (or the eyes in this case). But the fact is, after analysing the situation, I feel that we HAD the right to go on to the next team rather that the opposition debaters.
Firstly, I would like to say that they, as the opposition had no firm stand. Their stand was sort of agreeing with us. I mean, in debate, they are not supposed in the LEAST agree with us. And they agreed with us on the stand!! I mean, wasn't it SOOOO obvious that their stand was just plain crap? I belive that the judges should have noticed that, since our first, second, and third speaker had stressed on it again and again, and again. I am very sure that the message had gotten across that the opposition simply was agreeing with our government's stand and thus all the points that they brought up was therefore, baseless.
And yet, the judges were somehow-----. Anyway, it was 2-1. there was one judge in favour of us.
Anyhow, shouldn't the other judges know that the stand of the opposition was a no-no from the first place? haiz..
Well, thing's don't always turn out in the best way possible.But perhaps it is a signal for us that we can make more changes, and that we have a lot more to work on. So, good luck to all debaters out there...and 'add oil' !

yin
In the first round, we were against smk inderawasih. i mean, its not that i want to critisize anyone, but the anyway..the third speaker of that school's debate team was sooo one of a kind!
i mean, he was like, so cool. He went on and on and on so fluently like things were favouring him. But really, even he did admit to me...(when they congratulated us on our victory), that he felt it was baseless and very weak points, but still if you were a debater, that WOULD have to be your duty , wouldn't it be not?
And do you know what actually happened? I mean, its sort of funny, but the fact is..when he was giving his rebuttals, I was kind of worried. Because the fact that he was simply so convincing made me wary of how the judges would judge the whole thing. So, when he was there in front, delivering his rebuttals, i simply shook my head at every single point he tried to rebuttal on. And straight after the competition round, when he shook my hand, he said very "graciously" that he knew I was not agreeing with his points as I had been shaking my head from the very beginning since he started to talk..
hehe, what could i do but say "oh, but your points are really weak. I just HAD to do that. But you were really very convincing..truly.."
and he went : "oh, *laughs* I knew that!"
well, but seriously, they were very sporting even from the beginning. Even when the results were announced, they were very gracious about the whole thing and truly accepted it as a fair match.
Anyway, moving on to the next round where I had to go down to the stand. I wasn't really THAT nervous. But you should have seen the smk Dato Onn's debaters. They were really fluent and all, with their style and yadda..They were quite okay. And when it was my turn to go up to the stand, I started on my rebuttals and then the guy(second speaker of the opposition) went straightly P.O.I-ing me. AHA! I accepted of course.
After the debate, Lynn Hua and Shueh Yin told me that I actually smiled on the stand. And i was like, "o-kay... did i DO THAT? ". I mean, i still don't recall ever laughing or even close to smiling *widely* as accused by them!! but anyway, It was really funny when they told me I actually laughed when i was delivering my speech. They told me the opposition team was "somewhat shocked" to see me laughing.
Yeah of course, when we were congratulating them on their win, the guy from the opposition team came forward and told me that " You deny very sweetly". Excuse me..was that suppose to be critism on my behalf or what? And straightly after he said that, their team's first speaker added in that 'she tried not to P.O.I me because she couldn't bear to do that!'.. I mean, i don't want to sound vain or anything, but they said it in a VERY sincere way..(p.s. You can't blame me for being convinced, right? *all smiles* )
But still, I believe strongly that we could have won. I don't want to raise up certain things that are not pleasant to the ear (or the eyes in this case). But the fact is, after analysing the situation, I feel that we HAD the right to go on to the next team rather that the opposition debaters.
Firstly, I would like to say that they, as the opposition had no firm stand. Their stand was sort of agreeing with us. I mean, in debate, they are not supposed in the LEAST agree with us. And they agreed with us on the stand!! I mean, wasn't it SOOOO obvious that their stand was just plain crap? I belive that the judges should have noticed that, since our first, second, and third speaker had stressed on it again and again, and again. I am very sure that the message had gotten across that the opposition simply was agreeing with our government's stand and thus all the points that they brought up was therefore, baseless.
And yet, the judges were somehow-----. Anyway, it was 2-1. there was one judge in favour of us.
Anyhow, shouldn't the other judges know that the stand of the opposition was a no-no from the first place? haiz..
Well, thing's don't always turn out in the best way possible.But perhaps it is a signal for us that we can make more changes, and that we have a lot more to work on. So, good luck to all debaters out there...and 'add oil' !

yin

No comments:
Post a Comment